Date: 29th July 2009 at 3:01pm
Written by:

A full strength Aldershot team travelled to Surrey on Tuesday night and were beaten after a 9th minute goal from Woking’s Delano Sam-Yorke settled a dour match.

Clark Masters started in goal for the first time and new signings John Halls and Adam Hinshelwood were in the starting line-up and youth products Reece Connolly and Adam Mekki were on the bench. Lewis Chalmers (tonsilitis), Scott Donnelly (knee), Ruiz (Hamstring), and Dean Howell (Hip) were all out.

The visitors started off the better and had a good chance to take the lead after some good work from Hylton and Halls allowed Louis Soares a shot at goal, but his effort was blocked.

Just minutes later Delano Sam-Yorke broke clear of the Aldershot defence and slotted past Masters to give the Conference South side the lead.

It was a match of few attacking chances and it took nearly 10 minutes for the next break forward as ex-Woking striker Marvin Morgan had a header well saved by Ross Worner in the Woking goal. Woking’s defence held firm all evening and also denied Danny Hylton an opening mid-way through the first half.

Guiseppe Sole tried his luck from a 30 yard free kick, but it was deflected off the wall. Marvin Morgan also had a go from distance, but it went high and wide as the first half drew to a close.

Half time: Woking 1-0 Shots.

A quiet second half followed with neither side creating many openings. Ben Herd had an opening after a good ball from Sandell, but his effort was cleared away.

Four changes were made to the Aldershot line-up on 54 mintes as Hinshelwood, Charles, Hylton and Morgan made way for Blackburn, Winfield, Hudson and Harding.

Just before the hour mark Shots keeper Masters made an impressive save from Sam-Yorke. Moments later, Aldershot had their best chance to get back into the match after substitute Kirk Hudson broke away down the left and cut it back to Harding, but he blazed over from 12 yards.

Louis Soares had a half-chance after he cut inside, but hit his shot wide of the target.

Two more changes were made as Mekki came on for Straker and Connelly came on in place of Soares.

With just six minutes of the game remaining Reece Connolly had a chance, but he couldn’t get any power on the shot. He then had another chance moments later, but dragged his shot wide.

Despite several openings, Aldershot were unable to make the breakthrough and Woking held on to claim a morale boosting 1-0 win.

Woking: Ross Worner (Rodney Chiweshe, 72), Ricky Anane, Tony Sinclair, Tom Hutchinson, Aswad Thomas (Daniel Sintim, 82), Mark Ricketts (Joe McNerney, 78), Harry Arter (Billy Hussey, 78), Sam Sloma (Anson Cousins, 70), Giuseppe Sole, Luke Medley, Delano Sam-Yorke (Charlie Moone, 70)

Aldershot Town: Clark Masters, Ben Herd, Adam Hinshelwood (Chris Blackburn, 54), Anthony Charles (Dave Winfield, 54), Andy Sandell, John Halls, Louis Soares (Reece Connolly, 75), Anthony Straker (Adam Mekki, 71), John Grant, Marvin Morgan (Ben Harding, 54), Danny Hylton (Kirk Hudson, 54)

Attendance: 924