Date: 7th June 2009 at 4:52pm
Written by:

September began with the visit of League One outfit Swindon Town in the first round of the Johnstone`s Paint Trophy. Simon Cox gave the visitors the lead, before a Rob Elvins equaliser on half time. A Scott Davies penalty put Aldershot in front but the Robins levelled the match with just seven minutes to go. So, with the scores level the game went to a penalty shoot out. A spectacular miss from debutant Junior Osbourne gave the visitors a 7-6 win and progression to the next round.

Back in the league, last years losing play off semi finalists Darlington were next up at The Rec. Early goals from Marvin Morgan and Louis Soares got the home side off to a dream start, but the visitors pulled one back in first half stoppage time. After a few late scares The Shots hung on to claim back-to-back league wins. A trip to face bottom side Luton Town was up next, who had been hit with a 30 point deduction at the start of the season. John Grant cancelled out Michael Spillane`s first half opener, but Luton hit two late goals in injury time to win the match 3-1. Another tough match followed, as recently relegated Gillingham travelled to what was becoming known as “Fortress Rec”. Depsite the visitors being reduced to ten men early in the game, it took The Shots 75 minutes to break the dead-lock as Kirk Hudson opened the scoring. Gillingham were level, however, on the 84th minute as Simeon Jackson appeared to have rescued a point for the visitors. They were level for only 120 seconds though, as a deflected Scott Davies strike gave Aldershot yet another home win.

When a home win occurs, an away defeat usually follows. This proved to be the case again in the next away match at Notts County, and throughout the campaign. On an emotionally charged afternoon at Meadow Lane, a crowd of over 6,000 came out to pay their respects to County legend Jimmy Sirrel who had passed away two days beforehand. After a quiet first half, the visitors took the lead after a bullet header from Anthony Charles. County responded just minutes later and won the match deep into stoppage time. The home fans were jubilant and the away fans stunned as Aldershot`s miserable away record continued.

Two months into the season now and we were sitting in 8th place in League Two, just one point outside the play offs and only four points away from the automatic promotion spots. Impressive home form had been the key with three wins and a draw from the four league matches played at Fortress Rec. While the home form had been impressive, the away form left a lot to be desired with only one win and three defeats from the four matches played on the road.

We were heading into October now and table-topping Bury were the next visitors to north Hampshire?