Date: 9th June 2009 at 8:46pm
Written by:

Aldershot Town were adapting well to life in the Football League. Going into October they were just one point off the play offs, four points off automatic promotion and still unbeaten at home.

This impressive home record came under serious threat however as table-topping Bury travelled south. After early pressure, the Shakers finally took the lead after 24 minutes through Andy Bishop. Just six minutes later the lead was doubled, leaving The Shots with a mountain to climb. A deflected free-kick twelve minutes into the second half extended Bury`s lead further and the fortress was crumbling. With twenty minutes remaining substitute Rob Elvins headed home, before a Scott Davies penalty five minutes later gave the home side a massive life-line. With the game in the balance the ball came to Danny Hylton who shrugged off two challenges before putting the ball beyond Wayne Brown in the Bury net to send the home crowd into raptures. From looking dead and buried (excuse the pun) Aldershot had drawn level and preserved their unbeaten home record. This one will certainly go down as a point gained, while the two points dropped made a huge difference to Bury`s fortunes come May.

We were back on the road again the following week and a trip to Macclesfield. With the momentum from the Bury game behind us, this would be the perfect place for the away day blues to end, right? Wrong. The Shots slumped to a 4-2 defeat. Back to home action now and a 5,000+ crowd was at The Rec for the first time all season for the visit of Brentford. A penalty a-piece decided the match as the game finished a 1-1 draw. It was now four games without success and The Shots were on the road again, this time a midweek trip to Chesterfield as a Jamie Ward hat-trick helped Chesterfield to a convincing 5-1 win. The trip to Rochdale three days later had an air of inevitability about the result, even though we were level until the closing stages. The Shots eventually lost 3-1.

It had turned into a month to forget for the Aldershot faithful, but a first win in six was finally secured at home to under-achieving Port Vale as an early strike by Louis Soares ensured that the month ended on a high note.

A poor month had seen The Shots slide down the table into 14th place and five points off the play-offs, although due to the point deductions dished out at the start of the year relegation was never really in question.