Date: 21st June 2009 at 9:23pm
Written by:

We were now entering the final month of what had been a historic year for Aldershot Town and with the team well in the play off race, it was an exciting time to be a Shots fan.

Wycombe Wanderers were running away at the top of the table and were yet to taste defeat in the league as they travelled to The Rec, where Aldershot were unbeaten all season. It promised to be a cracker and didn`t disappoint. It took only 11 minutes for the deadlock to be broken as Kirk Hudson gave Aldershot the lead and continued to dominate the first half. This domination was rewarded further in the 29th minute as Kirk scored again to double The Shots` lead. With the score at 2-0 at the break, The Chairboys began to show why they were top of the league in the 2nd half. They grabbed a goal back with fifteen minutes to play as the home fans were left biting their fingernails. However, their minds were put at rest as Danny Hylton hit a third with only two minutes to play. This relief was quickly replaced by tension as Wycombe clawed another goal back in injury time but The Shots hung on to claim a fantastic 3-2 win.

On the back of that fantastic result, Grimsby Town visited The Rec. Without the points deductions handed out at the start of the season, Grimsby would have been rooted to the foot of the table and the 3,605 crowd turned up fully expecting a home victory. As usual with Aldershot, where there`s expectation, disappointment is never far behind. It proved to be the case again as the visitors took the lead inside a minute. The lead was doubled before the break, leaving The Shots with a mountain to climb in the second half. Four minutes into the 2nd half Scott Davies pulled a goal back from the penalty spot and the home side continued to bombard the visitor`s goal. With just fifteen minutes remaining the home side were awarded another penalty, this time for handball, which Scott Davies dispatched again to give The Shots a point and preserve their home record.

Next up was the Boxing Day clash away at Barnet, another side who had been struggling. It was a very comfortable afternoon for Aldershot as Danny Hylton opened the scoring after only five minutes. Barnet didn`t pose much of a threat and with twenty minutes remaining an Anthony Charles header doubled the visitor`s lead before Scott Davies rounded off the scoring in injury time. This was a second consecutive away victory in the league and a third in the last four in all competitions. With the home form still going strong and the away form improving, could this be the start of a serious promotion challenge?

That dream would start to unravel just two days later as Dagenham & Redbridge visited The Rec. It looked like it would be business as usual when Kirk Hudson opened the scoring after 15 minutes, but the Daggers pulled level from a free kick just before the half hour mark. The Shots pushed on in the 2nd half but it was the away side who got the vital goal with just two minutes remaining as a mere 173 away supporters celebrated, Aldershot`s 11 month unbeaten run was ended. It was a blow that we never quite recovered from.