Date: 5th June 2009 at 7:49pm
Written by:

After sixteen years in the non-league wilderness, Aldershot was finally home to a Football League team once more. Gary Waddock had secured the Blue Square Premier title in his first season in charge, finishing fifteen points clear of second placed Cambridge, with a record-breaking 101 points.

Changes were made both on and off the pitch as the club prepared for life in League Two. EBB became the new shirt and stadium sponsor and improvements were made around the Rec to bring it up to League standard. On the pitch Joel Grant joined Crewe for £130,000 while Marvin Morgan joined from Woking for an undisclosed fee, Dean Howell signed from Rushden and Diamonds and experienced defender Chris Blackburn joined for free. Ben Starosta also joined on a one-month loan from Sheffield United.

The Shots` first game in League Two, like the opening Conference fixture five years before, was against Accrington Stanley. A Scott Donnelly free kick settled the match and ensured that The Shots made a victorious return to League football. Four days later Aldershot travelled to the Ricoh Arena to take on Championship side Coventry City in the 1st round of the League Cup. After a spirited display, and another goal from a Donnelly free kick, the Championship side`s class shone through as they progressed to the next round of the competition with a 3-1 win. The opening week of the season was rounded off with the first home game of the campaign. Recently relegated AFC Bournemouth were the visitors and grabbed a point with an equaliser nine minutes from time after Louis Soares had given the hosts the lead.

We were on the road the following week, to face one of the favourites for promotion in Shrewsbury Town. It was the first time the two sides had met since that play off final at Stoke in 2004, and once again the Shrews came out on top with a 1-0 win. The Shots bounced back from that disappointment however, with a 3-2 win over Bradford City at The Rec. City were a goal up at the break, but a long distance strike from Ben Harding and a Marvin Morgan goal either side of a Nikki Bull penalty gave the home side the lead, however The Bantams struck back within three minutes. The game was finally decided by another long-range effort, this time from Scott Davies as the Shots won the match with only four minutes remaining to round off a successful opening month in style.

After the opening four matches of the season, Aldershot were 9th in the table with 7 points from a possible 12 and outside the play off places on goal difference. With a solid opening month behind them, the Aldershot bandwagon rolled into September full of optimism.