Date: 14th August 2009 at 1:11pm
Written by:

Aldershot`s Carling Cup interested didn`t last long as they were defeated in a game of three penalties at the Memorial Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Gary Waddock made two changes from the side that beat Darlington on Saturday, as Lewis Chalmers filled in at right back for the injured Ben Herd and Clark Masters started in goal.

The Shots made a bright start against their League One opponents and had the first clear opportunity of the match as a neat move between Sandell and Morgan allowed Scott Donnelly a chance, but his effort was stopped by Rovers keeper Evans. From a corner soon after, Morgan rose above his marker and headed just wide.

It took nearly 20 minutes for the home side to have their first attack as a cross from Jo Koffour fell to Sean Rigg, but Chris Blackburn dealt with the danger. Darryl Duffy also broke clear, but Masters snuffed out the attack.

On 38 minutes, the home side were awarded a penalty. Chris Lines broke through, but was bought down by Hinshelwood just inside the 18 yard box. Darryl Duffy stepped up and made no mistake from 12 yards.

Rovers started to take a grip on the match and if it wasn`t for a fantastic stop by Masters they would have doubled their lead before the break. Kuffour and Duffy always looked dangerous, but the score was 1-0 at the break.

It was the hosts who started the second half the brightest, as Kuffour had a 20 yard effort saved just after the restart. Rovers were really piling on the pressure and Duffy had an effort saved at the near post by the Shots` keeper, before Hinshelwood impeded on Kuffour to concede another penalty on 56 minutes.

Duffy stepped up again, but his effort was saved by Masters, but it fell straight back to the striker who knocked home the rebound.

It took just three minutes for the Aldershot response, as Rovers defender David Pipe handled in the box for a third penalty to be awarded, this time in the visitors` favour. Marvin Morgan converted to get the Shots back into the match.

As Aldershot chased an equaliser Waddock bought John Grant and Danny Hylton on to replace Scott Donnelly and Kirk Hudson.

It was scrappy matches towards the end, as a lot of free kicks were awarded, making it very difficult for either team to get into a rhythm.

With five minutes to go Soares came close to forcing extra time, but his effort from just inside the box was well saved by Evans.

Bristol Rovers had the last chance of the match, but Masters was made a good save to deny a 20 yard free kick.

On reflection, it was a good performance from Aldershot in a match that could have gone either way. There were certainly a lot of positives that could be taken from this, as The Shots head north to Spotland on Saturday to resume League Two matters.

Bristol Rovers were drawn away at Cardiff City in round two.