Date: 22nd September 2009 at 10:53pm
Written by:

Following two successive home games, we were back on the road on Saturday as we made the trip north to take on Crewe Alexandra.

At the start of the season this was one of the away trips that stood out for us and we had our train tickets booked back in July. I’d heard great things about trips to Crewe and after getting the train sorted for £19 return, I couldn’t wait.

I was up at 9am, as the official coaches had already been on the road for half an hour. Had a shower, some breakfast and made my way to the train station to catch the 10:31 train to London Waterloo. This was followed by a quick trip up the northern line to Euston, where we met a group of Shots fans all booked on the 12:10 train.

Off we went, with everyone in high spririts. A game of chase the ace was underway and everyone was looking forward to another Aldershot away day. Crewe was the first stop along the line and before long we were there, coming straight past the Alexandra Stadium, with that large side stand dominating the skyline. It towered over the rest of the stadium, with the other three stands looking like Chester’s Deva Stadium, with red seats. A lot of comparisons were drawn with Woking’s large stand, just down the side.

We got off the train and as we left the station we spotted lads who were on the supporters coach going into a pub on the corner, so we promptly joined them.

We watched the end of the early kick off between Burnley and Sunderland and headed down to the stadium to get our tickets. Upon hearing there were no student tickets available and it would cost a ridiculous £19 to get in, I decided to try my luck at getting a junior ticket – and got in for £8.50.

A solid wall of luminous orange and yellow jackets greeted us, as every bag, jacket and pocket was checked. Once we got through that we headed into the ground.

We went up the stairs and came out on to an unusual walk way that was set behind the seating and went down the front to put the banners up on the front barrier. There appeared to be a healthy turn out of Aldershot fans, which is always good to see. 316 made the 190 mile trip in total, which for my money was a very respectable turnout.

We were stood in the front row as the teams came out to a great reception from the travelling fans. Ex-Shots midfielder Joel Grant was starting on the wing on our side and he recieved a clap, which he greatfully returned.

The game started and Crewe were soon in the ascendancy. It was no suprise when the home side took the lead after a quarter of an hour. The travelling fans were not disheartened by this, determined to have a good day out, the singing and support continued as we did our best to lift the players.

On 33 minutes this paid off, to the backdrop of Dale Cavese, Scott Donnelly lined up a free kick and it deflected into the back of the net. Insane celebrations followed, with one fan who shall remain nameless going tumbling over three rows of seats!

Somehow we were back in the game. Crewe knocked on the door, but to no avail and we somehow made it to half time level in the game.

The football soon resumed and so did the singing from the fans. We started to get a bit more possession and on 66 minutes we took the lead. Donnelly was the creator, as Hudson controlled the pass beautifully and powered his shot into the roof of the net. Another wild celebration followed in the away end, as we looked on course for a second consecutive away win.

After this, Crewe laid siege on the Aldershot goal. It was hearts in mouth stuff at times, with Blocks from Blackburn, tackles from Charles, saves from Ruiz – The Shots were somehow weathering the storm.

Somehow, miraculously, we held on to claim all three points. Everyone was delighted with the three points in a tough fixture on the road – Last season our away form was our problem but the team showed fantastic resilience to claim victory.

After clapping the team off we headed back to the train station. Unfortunatley, I was a bit of an idiot and ended up booking us on the 17:33 train home via Stoke, whereas the others were on the 17:27 straight down to London. I apologised to my mate and we headed to Stoke-on-Trent. Once we arrived we had a twenty minute wait, so headed across the road to Subway for a quick bite to eat. A 6 inch Subway Melt on Italian herbs and cheese bread with sweetcorn, tomato and barbeque sauce hit the spot.

We were soon on the train back to London, where I picked up this month’s addition of When Saturday Comes, before getting the tube down to Waterloo where we only had a short wait before starting the final leg of our journey. We arrived back in Farnborough at about 8pm and after stopping in town for a bit, I finally got home at around 10, after a cracking away day, a cracking result and feeling chuffed in general.

I look forward to my next trip to Crewe, it really did live up to expectations and is rightly thought of as one of the better away days in the League.

Next up is a Tuesday night trip down to Torquay – I can’t wait.