Date: 15th July 2009 at 2:37pm
Written by:

Aldershot Town suffered a heavy defeat in their first home friendly against a full strength QPR side.

Shots boss Gary Waddock made over 200 appearances for QPR during a 7 year spell and also managed the club in 2006.

It was pretty much a full strength Aldershot line up, with ex- Southend player Che Wilson trialing at right back and Andy Sandell playing an unfamiliar left back roll. Anthony Straker and Danny Hylton were on the bench.

The visitors started the brightest, but it took until the 16th minute for their first attempt on goal as Akos Buzsaky hit the cross bar from 20 yards out. Rangers had a few more attacks before they finally made the break-through in the 25th minute, when Akos Buzsaky hit an un-stoppable shot after a cross from Matteo Alberti.

It took just two minutes for the Championship side to double their advantage, as Heidar Helguson pounced from six-yards out.

On the half an hour mark, The Shots broke forward. Good work from Kirk Hudson down the right wing allowed him to cross for Lewis Chalmers, but Radek Cerny in the QPR goal was able to palm it behind for a corner. Hudson had another opportunity 7 minutes later, after some good play by Louis Soares, but he hit it over the bar.

Half time: Shots 0 – 2 QPR.

Seven changes were made to the Aldershot team at half time, as trialists Simon Ainge (a centre back from Bradford), Adam Hinshelwood (ex-Brighton right back), Tom Hateley (ex-Reading), Moses Ashikodi (ex-Shrewsbury striker) and Bobby Hopkinson, who had impressed in trialist matches at Alton and Camberley, all entered the play. QPR changed all ten of their outfield players at the break.

Aldershot had the first real chance of the second half as a Ben Harding free kick was met by the head of Marvin Morgan, but unfortunately Morgan couldn`t direct his header goal-wards. The Shots were made to pay for that missed opportunity though, as Patrick Agyemang raced clear just four minutes later, lifted the ball over Ruiz and gave the visitors a 3-0 lead.

The Scoring was completed on the hour mark, after a mix up in the Shots defence between substitutes Hinshelwood and Ainge let the ball break free for Dexter Blackstock who drove home QPR`s fourth goal from six yards out.

The home side had the chance to get one back from the penalty spot in the 68th minute after Danny Hylton was bought down in the box. Hylton dusted himself down and took the kick himself, but it was saved by Cerny and the match finished 4-0 to the away side.

The Shots` next friendly is a trip to neighbours Farnborough of the Southern League on Wednesday night.