Date: 8th October 2009 at 4:47pm
Written by:

Hereford United, old foes from Conference days, were the first opponents for Aldershot Town in the month of September.

It was set to be an emotional afternoon, with a service for John McGinty planned for after the game. Aldershot were still riding high from a 2-1 away success a week before hand, but it was the visitors who broke the deadlock. Just three minutes were on the clock when a spot kick was awarded, which was tucked away by Tristan Plummer. The same man scored Hereford’s second with just twelve minutes left to play and it looked as if Aldershot would suffer a rare home defeat. In the 86th minute Danny Hylton headed home to give the Shots a lifeline and just a minute later Marvin Morgan raced through to rescue a point for the home side. In injury time it could have easilly been all three, but Morgan’s effort went just wide of the post.

Seven days later Port Vale visited the Recreation Ground, after making a decent start to the season. The visitors were on top early on and it was no suprise when Rob Taylor fired Micky Adams’ side into the lead. Aldershot bounced back from the early set back and Louis Soares got the equaliser seven minutes before half time. Aldershot had numerous chances to win the match second half, the best one falling to Kirk Hudson, but it wasn’t to be and the Shots had to settle for a second consecutive draw.

Aldershot were back on the road the following week as they travelled north to take on Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road. The home side were on top early on and former Shots midfielder Joel Grant fed the ball to Shaun Miller who gave the Alex a deserved lead after sixteen minutes. Crewe could have scored more, but a deflected free kick from Scott Donnelly put the Shots back on level terms against the run of play. The home side piled on the pressure again in the second half, but fantastic control and a great finish from Kirk Hudson gave the visitors an unlikely lead with twenty five minutes left to play. Crewe threw everything at Aldershot, but the defence held strong to claim a second successive win on the road.

Following that success another recently relegated side, Cheltenham Town, visited the Recreation Ground. Dave Winfield headed Aldershot into the lead ten minutes before half time. The Shots were in control, but on 64 minutes the visitors were awarded a penalty which was scored by Justin Richards who pulled the Robins level. It only lasted five minutes though, as Anthony Charles tapped home the rebound after his headed had cannoned off the bar. Five minutes later, Marvin Morgan rounded the visiting goalkeeper to extend the lead and in stoppage time Scott Donnelly let fly from fourty-five yards to secure a convincing 4-1 win.

The month ended with a trip to Plainmoor to take on Paul Buckle’s Torquay United side who were promoted from the Conference last season. A fine display from Ruiz ensured that the scores were level at the break, but early in the second half Tim Sills was penalised for handball and Marvin Morgan slotted home the resulting penalty to give Aldershot the lead. Aldershot had a golden oppurtunity to extend the lead, but Hudson’s effort was saved. This proved to be costly as Tim Sills made up for his earlier handball by heading Torquay level with the next attack. An eventful night for the ex-Aldershot striker was completed late on when he was sent off after picking up a second yellow card for diving.

An unbeaten month for the Shots meant they went into October in a play off place.