Date: 6th November 2009 at 10:40pm
Written by:

Life is never boring at Aldershot and this month of certainly no exception. Managerial change, a new chairman, 19 goals and the rest.

Aldershot came into this month on the back of a 7 match unbeaten run and in a play off place. This came to an end though in the first match of October, at Sincil Bank.

The struggling Imps had just hired Chris Sutton and the Shots’ visit was the ex-Blackburn and Celtic striker’s first match in charge. The ‘new manager effect’ seemed to pay off as a late Sergio Torres goal sunk a lackluster Aldershot and condemned the Shots to their first defeat since August.

Three days after this Aldershot were on the road again as their Johnstone’s Paint Trophy campaign began, and ended, at Hereford United. Kirk Hudson gave the visitors the lead after 14 minutes with a fine taken strike. The Bulls were level just before half time with a 30 yard strike giving Ruiz no chance. Hereford thought they’d won the tie when they took the lead in the 89th minute, but a Louis Soares strike deep in injury time took the game to penalties. With the score at 4-3 Danny Hylton hit the bar, sending the Shots crashing out.

After back-to-back away defeats Aldershot needed a convincing home win and that’s exactly what they got when Morecambe visited the Rec. Marvin Morgan gave the Shots the lead after 14 minutes, but it took until early in the second half to extend that lead when Shrimps defender Craig Stanley turned the ball past his own keeper. Kirk Hudson put daylight between the sides after a defensive mistake before Louis Soares rounded off the Shots scoring with 10 minutes to play. Paul Mullin got one back for the visitors deep into stoppage time.

Following that big win, the biggest talking point of the Shots’ season came. Managerial duo Gary Waddock and Martin Kuhl accepted the job at League One strugglers Wycombe Wanderers. This sent shockwaves through Aldershot Town as the manager who had bought so much success had gone and the club had to pick itself up and try and push on without him. Jason Dodd and Paul Williams were swiftly hired in a caretaker role and had two days to prepare the team for the visit of Bury.

Dave Winfield opened the scoring for the Shots after 18 minutes and the home side had the perfect chance to extend the lead ten minutes later when Bury keeper Wayne Brown bought down Marvin Morgan. Morgan picked himself up to take the kick, but it was easilly saved by the keeper. Aldershot were made to rue this missed chance as the Shakers equalised 5 minutes before the break with a well struck free kick. Louis Soares gave regained the lead for the home side with twenty minutes to go. The game was turned on it’s head in the next five minutes. Three minutes after conceeding the lead Bury were back on level terms through Stephen Dawson. Two minutes after that Efe Sodje rose highest at the back post to give Bury the lead for the first time in the match. The Shakers held on and Aldershot suffered their first home defeat of the season.

After that defeat Aldershot were on the road again as they travelled to the Prostar Stadium to take on Shrewsbury Town. Louis Soares opened the scoring for the visitors inside 3 minutes with a well taken shot. Shrewsbury equalised after half an hour, before Dave Winfield was sent off after an altercation with Shrewsbury’s Lewis Neal. It was Neal who gave the homeside the lead just before the break with a good free kick. Nathan Elder made the game safe for the homeside on the hour mark.

The month ended with a trip to the Don Valley Stadium to take on Rotherham United. An uneventful game finished goalless, with a Scott Donnelly free kick being Aldershot’s best chance. It was a good point for the Shots at a difficult venue, after a tough run of fixtures.