Date: 31st December 2009 at 10:49pm
Written by:

December was a rollercoaster month for Aldershot Town; big wins, heavy defeats, cup fever, postponments – There’s never a dull moment when following the Shots.

The month began with a tricky away match at high flying Dagenham & Redbridge. Anthony Charles gave the Shots a first half lead, but the Daggers hit back before half time. Aldershot re-took the lead in stunning fashion early in the 2nd half, as Andy Sandell hit a stunning volley from the edge of the box. Dagenham hit back again though, almost immediatley. Marvin Morgan put Aldershot back in the lead, before Jackson got Aldershot’s 4th. A late goal by Louis Soares wrapped up an impressive 5-2 win for Kevin Dillon’s side.

Another play off rival came to The Rec next as Chesterield were in town. The game, as expected, was a close affair, but a 2nd half header from Anthony Charles secured a second consecutive win.

It was FA Cup action on the Tuesday for the Shots, as League One side Tranmere Rovers came to Aldershot in a 2nd Round Replay, with a home tie against Premier League Wolves the reward. Tranmere took the lead just before half time after a mistake in the Shots’ defence and doubled their lead early in the 2nd half. Aldershot did get a goal back, but it was too little too late.

On the Saturday Aldershot made the trip to Burton Albion, as the team celebrated reaching the landmark of 1,000 competitive matches since re-forming in 1992 – and it turned out to be one to forget. Burton scored 4 goals in the 1st half and added 2 more after the break. A John Grant goal did give the Shots fans something to smile about, but Aldershot fell to a 6-1 defeat.

The planned home match with Bradford was postponed due to the snow, so Aldershot weren’t in action again til Boxing Day, when Barnet came to The Rec. John Grant gave Aldershot a 1st half lead and scored again after the break to give the Shots a 2-0 advantage. An Andy Sandell free kick and a Scott Donnelly penalty completed the scoring, as Aldershot bounced back from the Burton dissapointment with a 4-0 win.

It turned out to be the last match of 2009 as the away match at Hereford was postponed due to a frozen pitch.