Date: 19th July 2009 at 3:43pm
Written by:

An improved performance from The Shots gave them a creditable 0-0 draw at home to League Two champions Brentford.

Three of the trialists who played in the 3-1 defeat at Farnborough were given a second chance and Ryan Hall played for the first time, on the left wing.

Ben Strevens had the chance to give the visitors the lead after 10 minutes, but failed to connect from six yards out.

The Aldershot attack came half-way through the first half after some good play between ex-Brentford defenders John Halls and Ben Herd set up the chance for Scott Donnelly who rose well, but couldn`t direct his header on target.

Aldershot looked very good on the ball and started to enjoy a lot of possession, with Marvin Morgan a constant thorn in the side of the Brentford defence. He was unlucky not to open the scoring as his shot hit the side netting.

Ten minutes before the break, some good play from Kirk Hudson allowed Ben Harding the chance to give Aldershot the lead, but he was unable to guide his effort on target. John Halls also had an effort from 25 yards, but his free kick was too close to the near post.

Aldershot put in a very good first half display and were unlucky not to be in the lead.

Half time: Shots 0-0 Brentford.

The Shots remained un-changed from the first half, and started the second half very brightly. Kirk Hudson went close with an effort from just inside the box and Ben Harding had a golden opportunity from 12 yards, but hit his shot over the bar.

Four changes were made to the Aldershot line up on the hour mark as Anthony Charles, John Grant, Lewis Chalmers and Danny Hylton entered the play.

After the changes were made, play opened up and Brentford should have taken the lead on 66 minutes when substitute Leon Legge hit wide from six yards out. With fifteen minutes left, Sam Wood had another chance for the visitors, but his shot went just past Ruiz`s far post.

However, it was the home side who could have snatched a late win after substitute Carl Martin had a shot from an acute angle parried by the Bees` keeper, but it fell straight into the path of Danny Hylton who hit the re-bound well wide.

Aldershot Town: Jaimez-Ruiz, Blackburn (Charles 59)_, Morgan (Grant 59), Donnelly, Hudson, Harding, Herd (Martin 72), Hinshelwood (Winfield 72), Sandell Straker 72), Halls (Chalmers 59), Hall (Hylton 59)

Brentford: Price, O’Connor, Blake, Foster, Osborne, Bennett, Saunders, Hunt, Elder, Strevens, Weston Subs: Legge, Phillips, Wood, Bean, Dickson, Ademola, Lumley

Referee: Steve Cook

Assistants: Matt Mclough, Charles Breakspear

Fourth: Dave Jones